About Me

My photo
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is Kendall, I'm 28, a Media Graduate and I'm from Scotland. I'm a Reader, Reviewer, and Blogger.

Sunday 17 September 2017

Tips For Attending a Book Signing/Convention!



 I've attended lots of book signings/conventions over the past five years and travelled to the US for a few as well as attended ones in the UK. Because of this, I thought I'd share some tips to help people attending their first book signing/convention!
 
1. Plan Your Trip!

Whether it's a hotel, flights, or just a table plan of the signing, plan, plan, plan! Research nearby hotels if the one the signing is taking place in is too expensive or if the signing isn't in a hotel and you're travelling far. Have a look at flight/train/bus comparison websites over several months to get the cheapest deal if you're planning to fly or get the train or bus to the signing. Look at the table plan if there's one available and work out which authors you definitely want to meet. If the signing is one day, the chances are you won't be able to meet every author attending.
 
If you're planning to attend Love N. Vegas taking place from the 27th-29th October, check out Las Vegas travel deals page for the best flight and hotel packages!
 
2. Dress Comfortably!

A book signing is a long, exhausting, fun experience! As a reader, you're going to be walking to different tables and standing in lines a lot, so wear comfortable shoes and wear less layers because the room will heat up very quickly. Think about the weather outside too and dress accordingly.

3. Take a Suitcase or Trolley Case to Put Your Books In!

There's nothing worse than having to carry armfuls of heavy books about. I always take a suitcase when I attend a signing, unless it's in a hotel I have a room in, and I sort the books by author so that they're easy to find. This helps a lot, but remember not to overload your suitcase before you go to the signing in case you buy books there.
 
4. Don't be Afraid to Chat to People in Lines!

One thing I've learned is that book lovers love to chat! I've stood in multiple lines at busy signings and had people speak to me and include me in their conversations. Trust me, it makes the author's line move quicker lol, so don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with the people around you.
 
Some Dos and Don'ts!
 
Do:
 
- Plan which authors you definitely want to meet.
- Print out your event ticket beforehand if you can.
- Take a suitcase/small trolley case for your books.
- Be prepared to wait in a lot of lines.
- Be considerate of others.
- Buy books online and take them to the signing. This can sometimes work out cheaper than buying them at the signing.
- Have fun!
 
Don't:
 
- Expect to meet every author in attendance.
- Forget to pre-order any books from authors if they have a pre-order form.
- Skip to the front of any line.
 - Leave booking a hotel room/flights until the last minute. 

Now, I leave you with some of my pictures from the book signings/conventions I've attended! I really hope that this post gave you some helpful advice!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment