About Me

My photo
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is Kendall, I'm 28, a Media Graduate and I'm from Scotland. I'm a Reader, Reviewer, and Blogger.

Saturday 30 May 2015

Review: Talon [Talon 01] by Julie Kagawa!

 
Publication date: 28th October 2014
Paperback edition: 445 pages
Source: Kindle
Rating: 4 stars
SynopsisLong ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey: and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him: and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.
 
I was really excited when I first heard about this book! I mean, dragons?! How cool is that! I've only read one other series about dragons, and I enjoyed that series, so I couldn't wait to see if this book was as good! I then read some early reviews on this book that said it wasn't as good as the reviewers expected, which put me off reading it a little, but I received a copy of this book and the second book from the publisher, so I decided to make them my next read! I'm really glad I did! I enjoyed this book, but I did have a few problems with it as well! I mean, the plot was really slow to start off with and then nothing huge happened in until the last 20%! Things started to gradually happen and secrets started to come out, which made the plot develop more, but I just felt it was all too slow! I like a fast-paced book that has plenty of action and suspense in it! I loved the plot though, and the last 20% of the book had me hooked! The characters were amazing! Ember was the main female character, and she was a dragon! Ember wanted the chance to experience a summer of carefree living before she had to take her place in the dragon world! I could understand this because she was so young! Ember got a whole lot more than she bargained for though! Secrets were revealed that made Ember question everything that she knew about the dragon race! I loved Ember! She was so nice and easy for me to connect with! She was also really brave and she had a rebellious side to her as well! She was just a brilliant character! There was a love triangle in this book, but it didn't actually feel like one to me until quite a bit into the book lol! The love triangle was between Ember, Riley/Cobalt and Garrett! Riley/Cobalt and Garrett were on different teams! Garrett was a soldier for the team fighting to make dragons extinct and Riley was a dragon that had gone rogue, so they were on different sides! I must admit that I loved both guys, and I actually found it hard to pick between them lol! I could see that they both felt something for Ember and that they cared about her! Both guys were also seriously hot too lol, which made it even harder to pick between them lol! I also wasn't expecting this book to written from different point of views, but it was! It was written from Ember, Riley/Cobalt and Garrett's point of views! I loved this! It added a lot to the plot and it was like following three different plots that connected and became one plot! It also helped me connect more with the characters! I can't wait to read the next book in this series! I'm really happy that I don't have to wait for it to release and that I already have a copy of it! The ending of this book was insanely awesome, so I can't wait to see what's going to happen next! The cover for this book suits it perfectly! It's like dragon scales and the book is obviously about dragons lol! I absolutely love it and I'm really happy the UK publisher didn't change it! Big thank you to Mira Ink and Maximum Pop! for a copy of Talon for review!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment