About Me

My photo
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is Kendall, I'm 28, a Media Graduate and I'm from Scotland. I'm a Reader, Reviewer, and Blogger.

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Human Trafficking Awareness Month!


Hey guys! I recently found out that January was actually Human Trafficking Awareness Month which I actually didn't know and as I did a post on bullying then I thought that it was right for me to make a post on human trafficking.

Human trafficking "is the illegal trade of human beings mainly for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation or forced labour. Other purposes can be extraction of organs, or tissues or even surrogacy or ova removal" and it takes place in many forms including bride buying and child labour which are just some of many. Bride buying is "the illegal industry or trade of “purchasing a bride” to become property and at times as property that can be resold or repurchased for reselling" and child labour "refers to the employment of children in any work that deprives children of their childhood, interferes with their ability to attend regular school, and that is mentally, physically, socially or morally dangerous and harmful." Drug trafficking was also found to be the most profitable illegal industry in the world. Human trafficking takes place in all different countries from Africa to the United States and it affects hundreds of people everyday. Women, children and even some men get sold, beaten and forced to do things that no-one in the world should be forced to do. Why does this continue to happen?

There are many organisations out there that try and stop trafficking including the DNA Foundation which was created by celebrities, Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher and it mainly focuses on the sex trafficking of children. Demi and Ashton also joined with other celebrities, Microsoft, Twitter and Facebook to create the “Real Men Don't Buy Girls” campaign to combat child sex trafficking. "Real Men Don't Buy Girls" is based on the idea that high-profile men speaking out against child sex trafficking can help reduce the demand for young girls in the commercial sex trade." In 1994 Global Alliance Against Traffic in Women was established to combat trafficking in women in any grounds.

I believe that more things should be done to stop human trafficking. It is a horrific experience for anyone to go through and it is disgusting that people have to sink this low to have their reasons to take part in any of this. This is completely my opinion and I know that there are people out there that don't agree with me and they think that human trafficking is okay and that forcing people to do unacceptable things should be allowed but I don't. I don't think that this issue is raised enough in society as it affects so many people and it happens in countries all over the world. People are not made aware of how bad trafficking has become over the years and it is still increasing. Something has to be done about it. Everyone deserves freedom. Everyone deserves a say. Everyone deserves rights. No-one deserves this.


All information was taken from Wikipedia and either put into my own words or quoted apart from paragraph 4! Pictures were also taken from Google Images!

No comments:

Post a Comment