About Me

My photo
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is Kendall, I'm 28, a Media Graduate and I'm from Scotland. I'm a Reader, Reviewer, and Blogger.

Saturday 10 November 2012

Interview with Sharon Van Orman!

Hey guys! I have here an interview which I did with Sharon Van Orman about her new book Lykaia which is book 1 of The Sophia Katsaros Series! You can find me review of Lykaia below this post! Hope you enjoy!

Is there anything you'd love to tell us about yourself?

Well, I wrote a book… I’m a klutz, I’m a mother, I prefer to keep my life boring but it never works out that way. I love to ride horses, and drive fast cars. I love the sun, music and great movies. I am a book hoarder. I am amazed at how much I love my kindle, and at how little it has affected my book hoarding. I love having monthly margaritas with my best girlfriends. I like spicy food and Oreo cookies. Although not necessarily at the same time…. And I love the smell of jasmine and oranges.

For the readers out there that haven't read your series could you tell us a quick bit about it?

It is a series based in myth, played out in mystery.

How did you come up with the idea to write The Sophia Katsaros Series?

I was doing research for an historical fiction novel, set in ancient Greece, when I found the myth of King Lykaonas. The notion that this was the basis for lycanthropy fascinated me. But I had no reason to use the story. Last October I entered a Halloween themed Flash Fiction contest. I wrote a story based on King Lykaonas and his 50 sons. The prologue for Lykaia is that short story. And then Sophia showed up and we were off from there.

Do you have a Favorite Quote from the series?

I do, it’s the tag line, as a matter of fact. “We are the terrors that hunt the night, and we have never been human.”

Who designed your cover?

Chris Paradis.

I am in love with the cover. He did such a wonderful job on it. There is an urn in the Louvre that depicts a man wearing a wolf skin in an attempt to become wolf during the Lykaia. In my novel these are wolves that become man, not the other way around. So Chris drew an urn that has a wolf wearing a man-skin. It’s brilliant.

What would you say is your favorite thing about being an author?

I’m a writer. Author sounds so much more grand than what I do. I write because I have to. If I don’t the noise in my head overwhelms me and I can’t concentrate on the parts of my life that I need to tend to. So, as far as my favorite part,  it’s nice to be able to get what is in my head on paper, and that I now have the ability to share that with people.

When did you start writing?

As soon as I learned to hold a pencil.

What has been your toughest criticism given to you as an author?

I have learned that commas do not go where I think they go. But,  I’ve not had harsh criticism about how I write. I did have one guy tell me that there was no future in fantasy.  Other than that, suggestions about how to make the story better don’t bother me. I appreciate those. But so far no one has told me I need to go find something else to do.

Best compliment?

That they enjoyed the story.

Is there anything you'd like to say to your fans/readers?

It is my hope that when you chose to suspend your reality for mine, that it is time well spent.

Quickfire Round!

Favorite Food: Pizza
Favorite Country: The Maldives. There is a beach, with a hammock and a fruity drink with my name on it…
Favorite Color: Green
Favorite Animal: Wolves with horses a very close second
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Favorite Movie: Sabrina (The re-make with Harrison Ford)
Favorite Drink: Water….with the occasional margarita
Favorite Restaurant: La Mesa

Thank you so much for Sharon for agreeing to an interview! We have loved reading your answers!

Author bio:

A tattered copy Bulfinch’s Mythology inspired a lifetime fascination with the subject. On a research tangent Sharon came across the myth of King Lykaonas who was cursed by Zeus into becoming a wolf. The very first lycanthrope.

Lykaia was written as a flash fiction piece for a writer’s site. The idea took root and demanded to be expanded upon. With that bit of inspiration Sharon entered the National Novel Writers Month contest held in November of 2011. Seven weeks later the book was finished and had blossomed into not only a full length novel, but a series featuring Dr. Sophia Katsaros.

Sharon lives in Nebraska with her family and a collection of animals including ones that were chosen and others that did the choosing. After the birth of her third child she left her job as a commercial risk manager to be a full time mom. In between soccer games, hosting the neighborhood children and taking in stray animals she finds the time to write.


No comments:

Post a Comment