About Me

My photo
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is Kendall, I'm 28, a Media Graduate and I'm from Scotland. I'm a Reader, Reviewer, and Blogger.

Sunday 4 November 2012

Review: Conjure [The Hoodoo Apprentice 01] by Lea Nolan!

Publication date: 16th October 2012
Paperback edition: 314 pages
Source: Kindle
Rating: 4 stars
Synopsis: Be careful what you search for...

Emma Guthrie expects this summer to be like any other in the South Carolina Lowcountry--hot and steamy with plenty of beach time alongside her best friend and secret crush, Cooper Beaumont, and Emma’s ever-present twin brother, Jack. But then a mysterious eighteenth-century message in a bottle surfaces, revealing a hidden pirate bounty. Lured by the adventure, the trio discovers the treasure and unwittingly unleashes an ancient Gullah curse that attacks Jack with the wicked flesh-eating Creep and promises to steal Cooper’s soul on his approaching sixteenth birthday.

When a strange girl appears, bent on revenge; demon dogs become a threat; and Jack turns into a walking skeleton; Emma has no choice but to learn hoodoo magic to undo the hex, all before summer—and her friends--are lost forever.

Favourite quote: "Watch your heart, Emma. Don't wade too deep into the fire. You don't want to get burned."

I was so lucky to receive an ARC of Conjure from Elana Johnson from Entangled Publishing! I was really looking forward to reading this book until I realised that the main character was 14 years old! I actually thought that this would put me off it a little bit and it did a bit but I tried to look past her age! Emma Guthrie was the main character and I really liked her! She acted so much older than 14 which surprised me and she faced her problems head on! Jack Guthrie was Emma's twin brother and I thought that he was a good character but he was pretty violent at times which put me off him at points in the book! Cooper Beaumont was the love interest of Emma and he was so cute and protective of her! The plot was quite unique and it wasn't really what I was expecting! The pace was pretty slow though and I did lose interest at some points! This wasn't really my sort of book but it was okay! I love the cover though! It is so pretty! Big thank you to Elana and Entangled Publishing for the ARC!

No comments:

Post a Comment