About Me

My photo
Scotland, United Kingdom
Hi! My name is Kendall, I'm 28, a Media Graduate and I'm from Scotland. I'm a Reader, Reviewer, and Blogger.

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Interview with Jessica Sorensen!

Hey guys! I am a major Jessica Sorensen fan so when she agreed to do an interview I was ecstatic! I have spoke to Jessica on numerous occasions and she is so nice!
 
Congratulations on The Fallen Star Series being made into a Web Series!! You must be really excited! What I really want to know is, are you going to be taking a big role in the process of helping your books be made into a Web Series?

Absolutely. I’ll be helping with the screenplays, casting, and I’ll be there for some of the filming.

Are you surprised by how well The Fallen Star Series, Darkness Falls Series and The Lost Souls Series have taken off?

When I decided to go Indie, I made sure to go into it not expecting a lot. That way if I sold just a few books, I’d be happy. So I was surprised when The Fallen Star surpassed a few sales.

What book are you currently writing? and could you maybe tell us a bit about that book?

The current book I’m working on is The Secret of Ella and Micha, set to release at the end of September. It is a Mature Young Adult/ New Adult Contemporary book about Ella, a girl who ran away from her tragic past and her best friend Micha, who’s secretly in love with her and wants her back in his life. So when Ella returns home from college for the summer, Micha does everything he can to win her over and convince her to be the girl he used to know.

Here’s the description:

Ella and Micha have been best friends since they were kids. But one tragic night shatters their friendship and their lives forever.

Ella used to be a rule-breaker with fiery attitude who wore her heart on her sleeve. But she left everything behind when she went to college and transformed into someone that follows the rules, keeps everything together, and hides all her problems. But now it’s summer break and she has nowhere else to go but home.

Ella fears everything she worked so hard to bury might resurface, especially with Micha living right next door. If Micha tries to tempt the old her back, she knows that it will be hard to resist.

Micha is sexy, smart, confident, and can get under Ella’s skin like no one else can. He knows everything about her, including her darkest secrets. And he’s determined to bring his best friend, and the girl he loves back, no matter what it takes.
What would you say is your favorite thing about being an author?

There are quite a few things, but one of my favorites is creating worlds and characters exactly how I want them.

Which has been your favorite series to write?

Series wise Ember is my favorite so far. I know the book isn’t out yet, but I enjoyed writing it more than my others series. There is just something about Ember and her story that I’m drawn to.

Who designed the covers?

All my current covers were designed by Regina at http://www.maeidesign.com/. And she does really amazing work.

Are you characters normally based on anyone in your life? past experiences?

I think each character holds a little piece of someone I know, and a small part of my past. Some of the sarcasm and humor in the Fallen Star Series is based on the attitudes of a few of my family members.

Why/How did you chose to write paranormal books?

I chose the genre because when I began writing novels, this was the genre I mostly read. I also find it fun to create crazy stories full of characters with powers I secretly wish I had.

Do you ever experience writers block?
 
Yes and when I run into it, I usually take a break or keep typing until I get out something that’s useful.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Keeping track of everything in the storyline is a bit of a challenge. There are times when I confuse myself and have to double check on something in a previous book, because I can’t remember what I wrote and if it lines up.

 Is there any particular author/book that helped influence you into being an author?

Almost every book I’ve read has in some way or another influenced me to be a writer. And reading other books helps my writing skills grow.

When did you start writing books?

I wrote my first novella when I was in middle school. I wrote most of it during math class, when the teacher was explaining things, which is probably why I’m not great at math.

But I started writing my first book, The Fallen Star, about three years ago.

What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

Most criticism is tough to take, but I try to learn from it and improve my writing based on the remarks. I’m not sure what the best compliment has been, but it’s always nice just to hear someone say they enjoyed reading one of my books.

Is there any book or book series you have read lately you'd recommend?

The last book I read was That Boy by Jillian Dodd and yes, I would recommend it. It has just the right amount of romance and the main character has a wicked sense of humor.

While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?

All the time. I have to get into the mindset of the main character and look at things how they see and feel them. It’s almost like being in the story.

Are you gonna be at UtopYA 2013? (lol please say yes haha)

I’m not sure yet. Sorry :(

Do you have any advice for aspiring writers/authors?

My biggest advice would be to never give up, no matter how hard or discouraging it may get.
Is there anything you'd like to say to your readers and fans?

That you’re awesome and I appreciate all the support.

Quick Fire Round!
 
Favourite Food: Chicken Teriyaki sandwich
Favourite Country: The only country I’ve been to is The United States and it’s pretty great.
Favourite Color: Purple
Favourite Animal: A horse (I’m a bit of a cowgirl at heart)
Favourite Book: Ah! There are too many. Some of my favorite Authors are Cassandra Clare, Sarah Dessen, Becca Fitzpatrick, Abbi Glines, Tammara Webber, Jamie McGuire and Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Favourite Pop: Diet Dr. Pepper
Favourite Restaurant: Red Robin

Author bio:
Jessica Sorensen lives with her husband and three kids in the snowy mountains of Wyoming, where she spends most of her time reading, writing, and hanging out with her family.

Add Jessica on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jessFallenStar

No comments:

Post a Comment